Wednesday, November 13, 2013

I cooked some rutabagas pulled from my garden yesterday. They are open-pollinated Marian variety. Rutabagas are a cross between turnip and cabbage. I planted them on August 8, 2013 for late fall harvest. They can be peeled and chunked then oven roasted, boiled or used in dishes, soups or stews. They are also delicious raw.  I boiled these in salted water and after draining, added butter before serving in lieu of potatoes. My cookbook, Dad's Home Cooking; Traditional Recipes for Preparing Healthy Family Meals has a rutabagas au gratin recipe!


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Richard, I never ate turnip but, I like to know how you can cook. Thanks for the tip. Bjs, Susana Note: View the hobby going on my blog: http://tertuliadasusy.blogspot.pt/2013/11/crumble-de-marmelo-com-aveia-e-nozes.html

    ReplyDelete