Sunday, September 23, 2012

Today I picked and roasted my Ancho Magnifico chili peppers. The 4 plants I had were started from seed indoors on April 2, 2012 and they were set out in the garden on May 26, 2012. The seed is a hybrid from Territorial Seed with a 75 day maturity. They grew to a large size 6" long and 3" across! They are very meaty and have a wonderful chili taste.

I was able to get 12 of them at a time on my 30 inch grille. With all burners on high it took about 10 minutes to roast. I turned them several times.




This is what they looked like near the end of the roasting time. I placed the peppers in a paper bag and closed the bag and let them sit for 1/2 hour. I then removed and discarded the skin and seeds leaving the stem and flesh. I then wrapped them individually in plastic and placed them in freezer bags and into the freezer. These will be used to prepare chili dishes and to add that roasted pepper taste to soups throughout the fall and winter! This variety will be planted again next year. I may even plant 6 plants.





No comments:

Post a Comment