Thursday, August 9, 2012

Since July 4th, I have been picking blueberries from my 6 bushes collecting about 1/2 gallon every two to three days. Today I picked less than 1/2 gallon since the season is just about over for the varieties I have, namely Dorrow, Blue Crop and Toro.The different varieties were selected to assist in good cross-pollination for top production.
After picking the berries, I wash and drain them and remove any stems. They are then placed in a single layer in a baking pan and frozen. Once frozen, I place the berries in quart plastic freezer bags marked with the date and contents and place in the freezer. Freezing the berries in this fashion allows the removal of a few berries at a time without thawing the entire bag. I then serve the berries for breakfast throughout the winter or use them to make pies.

No comments:

Post a Comment