Halloween will soon be here. Want to make caramel apples from scratch? You will need a candy therometer.
1 dozen freshly picked crisp apples of your choice
1 dozen candy apple sticks
1 large can condensed milk
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups white corn syrup (I use Karo)
4 teaspoons vanilla
2 cubes butter
1 cup cone dipping chocolate
1 cup chopped nuts (peanuts, walnuts, pecans or hazelnuts)
1. Wash and dry apples and insert the sticks. Set aside.
2. In a heavy sauce pan over medium high heat, add all caramel ingredients except vanilla. Stir constantly until the thermometer reads 210 degrees F. Reduce heat to medium and continue stirring until thermometer reaches 248 degrees F. Remove from heat.
3. Add the vanilla and stir.
4. Dip the apples into the warm caramel to coat, then set on a sheet of wax paper to cool.
5. When cool, dip the apples in warm cone dipping chocolate and then into nuts. Return to wax paper to cool.