Sunday, December 16, 2012

Some herbs can be harvested from the garden and used fresh throughout the winter here in the Puget Sound Area. Here are some that I grow in my garden in the winter. I have to use a flashlight to harvest for the evening meal and sometimes I get wet but they are so much better than dried!

I grow my Bay Laurel in a large pot so I can bring it into a warmer location when the temperature drops below freezing. If they are planted in the ground and mulched they can withstand 10 degrees F for a short time.

Sage is planted in the ground and is hardy to 25 degrees F for short periods of time. I generally cover mine with a blanket when the temperature are headed for the twenties.

Rosemary is also planted in the ground and is hardy to about 20 degrees F. Below that I cover with a blanket until the cold spell is over. Note the small blue flowers throughout the winter!

Thyme planted in the ground is hardy to about 25 degrees F. I also cover thyme with a blanket when the temperature is headed into the twenties.

Parsley planted in the ground can take short periods of 15 degree F temperatures but I cover it with a blanket when the temperatures are headed for the low twenties.

Oregano planted in the ground is hardy to minus 20 degrees F. which we never get. I just leave it exposed throughout the winter!


No comments:

Post a Comment