Thursday, November 29, 2012

I always grow green bunching onions in my garden. If planted from seed every month during the growing season, I can harvest green onions from late spring until the winter. This photo taken in late November shows the Japanese bunching green onions in the garden that I am overwintering so that I can harvest the onion seed next summer for use in late 2013 and 2014.


This variety of bunching onion seed is open pollinated meaning that the saved seed will reproduce the same plant that the seed was from. Since onions are biannual, they need 2 seasons to produce seed, so these were planted from seed last early summer and will go to seed next early summer. I can then harvest the seed. I do this every year to make sure that I always have seed. If I end up with more seed than I can plant, the seed is sprouted and used in salads!

No comments:

Post a Comment