Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Today was pumpkin and squash freezing day. I had 2 nice pumpkins and 1 large squash to freeze.


The first step was to cut them in half and clean out the seeds and pulp. I then baked them in a 350 degree F oven for about 45 minutes until the flesh was cooked. I then let them cool briefly and removed the outer shell.


The next step was to run the flesh through a conical sieve to remove all the stringy pulp.


I then packed 3 5/8 cups of pumpkin into 5 each 1 quart freezer bags and placed in the freezer. Each bag will make 2 pumpkin pies so I froze enough pumpkin from my 2 pumpkins to make 10 pies plus enough left over to make a loaf of pumpkin bread. The squash was placed in  4 each 1 pint freezer bags and frozen with some left over to serve fresh for dinner.


The plump pumpkin/squash seeds were dried in the dehydrator for pumpkin seed snacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment